2013 Spring Campus Initiatives
Iran Mobilization: Communicating the Threat That Iran Poses to American Security & Values
Amidst increasingly tough sanctions and ongoing negotiations, Iran continues its quest
for a nuclear weapons capability. This spring, AIPAC-trained students will continue to make
the case that a nuclear Iran threatens America and her interests. They will do so by:
- Writing opinion pieces in campus newspapers and securing the co-authorship of mainstream student leaders, especially College Democrats and College Republicans.
- Organizing campus leadership statements.
- Delivering these statements to their elected representatives in Washington to demonstrate to American policy makers that preventing Iran from gaining a nuclear weapons capability is a top concern of mainstream campus leaders.
Legislative Activism: Making a Real Impact
Working with Members of Congress to pass critical legislation that strengthens the U.S.-Israel alliance is the core mission of the politically involved pro-Israel community. AIPAC campus activists will expand their influence on the legislative process by mobilizing their campus peers to effectively engage elected officials on behalf of legislation affecting Israel’s security and viability. Utilizing skills learned through AIPAC training, student activists will work with AIPAC’s National Field Organizers to customize a legislative impact approach that takes advantage of the unique demographics and characteristics of their campus. They will make a real legislative impact by:
- Visiting members of Congress and their staff in Washington and their Congressional district offices.
- Inviting members of Congress to campus to address the importance of a strong U.S.-Israel relationship.
- Embarking on letter-writing campaigns designed to strengthen the connections between Campus and Congress.
Educating Campus Influentials: Israel Forum for Student Leaders
This year, AIPAC-trained student activists initiated Israel Forums with College Democrats, College Republicans, and other politically involved students. In coordination with AIPAC’s National Field Organizers, campus activists will invite experts on Israel and the Middle East to lead discussions on the meaning of current events for America and its most reliable Middle East ally – the State of Israel. Emphasis will be on educating future political leaders to the value of a strong U.S.-Israel relationship to America, Middle East stability, and the prospects for peace.
Possible discussion facilitators include:
- AIPAC professionals and community leaders.
- Visiting speakers with expertise in those areas.
- Appropriate faculty on campus.